(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
Looking for a fun and tasty winter treat? These vegan, gluten free, paleo, and sugar free friendly chai latte cupcakes are the perfect things to make! These dreamy cupcakes are full of warm chai spice and topped with a creamy chai frosting. They are the perfect January treat!
How do I make these cupcakes sugar free?
I used coconut sugar in these cupcakes, but you could substitute the coconut sugar with monk fruit to keep them sugar free. Or you could use King Arthur Baking Sugar Alternative instead of coconut sugar.
How do I make these cupcakes paleo?
I made a paleo version of these cupcakes using King Arthur Paleo Measure For Measure Flour. Simply use this flour in place of the oat flour!
What ingredients will I need to make these chai latte cupcakes?
These chai latte cupcakes will require a couple simple ingredients. They are:
- oat flour
- flax or regular eggs
- baking powder
- baking soda
- coconut sugar
- pure vanilla extract
- olive oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- cashew butter
- homemade chai mix
I’m have a nut allergy, what else can I use?
If you’re allergic to coconut, you can replace the coconut sugar with brown sugar or monk fruit. If you’re allergic to cashews, you can use any other nut or seed butter in the place of the cashew butter (sunflower seed butter, almond butter, etc.).
How do I make homemade chai mix?
You will want to make your own homemade chai mix using cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, ginger, cloves and some black pepper. If you don’t want to make your own chai spice you can also buy one from Amazon like this one by SPICEWALLA!
Help, I don’t have applesauce on hand!
If you don’t have applesauce on hand, you can try replacing it with yogurt or pumpkin puree! I haven’t tried this recipe with those substitutions, but those are typical replacements for applesauce.
How do I make homemade oat flour?
It’s very easy to make homemade oat flour. Simply blend rolled or quick oats in a high speed blender until they turn into flour and then use the oat flour in this recipe!
Ready to make these cupcakes? The full recipe is below!
Chai Latte Cupcakes
For the Chai Mix
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
For the Cupcakes
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp homemade chai mix (see above)
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 flax eggs or regular eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup cashew butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp homemade chai mix (see above)
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- First, prepare the homemade chai mix by adding all of the spices to a small dish and mixing thoroughly. Set aside.
- Next, preheat the oven to 350° and grease a standard muffin pan with cooking spray. Line the muffin pan with cupcake liners before greasing, if using.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients for the cupcakes: flour, chai mix, coconut sugar, ground flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients: water, applesauce, olive oil, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing gently with a spatula until fully combined.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix the batter briefly again, then scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each muffin tin equally with batter.
- Bake the cupcakes for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let them cool in the pan until completely cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a medium sized bowl stir together the frosting ingredients: cashew butter, coconut sugar, chai mix, vanilla extract, and water. Whisk until smooth. Add more cashew butter, coconut sugar, or water to the frosting if needed to achieve the desired consistency.
- Frost each cupcake with frosting. Store cupcakes at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Looking for more cupcake recipes?
If you love cupcakes, you should try some of my other cupcake recipes!