These light and fluffy chocolate chip oat flour muffins are one of my favorite things to make. They’re gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free, and so easy to make. They’re perfect for a weekend brunch, or for an everyday breakfast or snack! They’re bursting with chocolate chips and just so delicious.
How many chocolate chip muffins does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 10 large chocolate chip muffins or 12 medium sized muffins. You can even make mini muffins if you prefer!
What ingredients will I need to make these chocolate chip muffins?
You’ll need just a couple simple ingredients to make these muffins. They are:
- oat flour
- eggs (flax or regular eggs)
- baking powder and baking soda
- honey or pure maple syrup
- pure vanilla extract
- water or dairy free milk
- plain yogurt (I use dairy free)
- olive oil or coconut oil
- unsweetened applesauce
- chocolate chips
What kind of dairy free yogurt did you use?
I used Forager Project unsweetened cashew milk yogurt. I love this yogurt because there are only a couple simple ingredients used!
Where can I find dairy free chocolate chips?
- Dairy Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips, I would recommend Enjoy Life Foods dairy free chocolate chips. They have dark, semi-sweet, and white dairy free chocolate chips!
- Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free: If you’re looking for chocolate chips that are dairy free and refined sugar free, I would recommend Hu Kitchen dairy free chocolate chips (they’re sweetened only with dates!). If you want to try these chocolate chips, use my code bigleybasics for 15% off.
- Dairy Free & Sugar Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips that are also sugar free, I would recommend Lily’s stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips. They’re sweetened with stevia!
Help, I don’t have applesauce and/or yogurt on hand!
If you don’t have applesauce or yogurt on hand, you can try using one of these substitutes for either one: mashed banana, pumpkin puree, or nut butter. Or you can simply use more applesauce or yogurt if you have one, but not the other. I haven’t made this recipe with any of those substitutes, but those are all common substitutes for applesauce and yogurt.
How do I make homemade oat flour?
To make homemade oat flour simply blend gluten free quick, old fashioned, or rolled oats in a high speed blender (or process them in a food processor). Blend/process until a flour consistency is reached. Check out this video if you want to see how I make my own oat flour!
How do I store these muffins?
I like to store these muffins in a sealed container on the counter for 3-4 days or in the fridge for 5-6 days. You can also freeze them for long term storage and get them one whenever you need one!
Looking for more muffin recipes?
Try some of my other muffin recipes below!
- Cinnamon Sugar Oat Flour Muffins
- Raspberry White Chocolate Muffins
- Low Sugar Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Double Chocolate Oat Flour Muffins
- Hearty Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Light and Fluffy Blueberry Muffins
Ready to make these muffins? The full recipe is below!
Chocolate Chip Oat Flour Muffins
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 flax eggs or regular eggs
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or 3/4 cup regular chocolate chips)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dairy free yogurt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened dairy free milk (or water)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey (or pure maple syrup)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 12-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Or line the muffin tin with cupcake wrappers and spray the wrappers gently with cooking spray.
- While the oven is preheating, whisk together all the ingredients in a large bowl (except chocolate chips). Then stir in chocolate chips with a spoon.
- Let the batter rest for 30 minutes then divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool slightly before enjoying.