This chocolate quinoa mousse is one of my favorite desserts I’ve made this year. It’s full of rich chocolate flavor, but not too sweet. It pairs perfectly with some homemade dairy free whipped cream and fresh berries! It’s healthy enough to eat for breakfast, but indulgent enough to serve for dessert. It’s also vegan, gluten free, refined sugar free, and sugar free friendly!
How do I make this chocolate quinoa mousse sugar free?
I use pure maple syrup in this mousse but you could replace it with sugar free maple syrup if you needed to keep the recipe sugar free.
What ingredients do I need to make this chocolate mousse?
If you want to make this chocolate quinoa mousse, here’s what you’ll need:
- white quinoa
- cocoa powder
- full fat coconut milk (or other dairy free milk)
- pure maple syrup (or honey would also work, I prefer maple syrup)
- pure vanilla extract
- sea salt
- instant coffee or a shot of espresso (optional)
How do I make this recipe nut free?
If you want to make this recipe nut free, you can use oat milk, rice milk, or soy milk instead of the coconut milk.
Do I have to use full fat coconut milk?
If you don’t want to use full fat coconut milk, you can use another non-dairy milk (almond milk, lite coconut milk, cashew milk, rice milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc.). I prefer full fat coconut milk because it gives the mousse a rich flavor and makes it more filling, but you can replace it if you prefer (though I recommend the full fat coconut milk if possible).
Can you taste the quinoa in this chocolate quinoa mousse?
You won’t be able to taste the quinoa in this recipe. The quinoa just gives the mousse a nice consistency and packs it full of protein and fiber, making it a satisfying and nourishing breakfast or dessert.
Do I have to use coffee in this recipe?
The instant coffee/espresso is optional, but I highly recommend adding it if possible. The coffee enhances the chocolate flavors and gives this chocolate mousse a nice deep flavor. I personally use decaf instant coffee.
More mousse, please!
If you enjoyed this recipe, try some of my other mousse and pudding recipes!
Ready to make this chocolate quinoa mousse? The full recipe is below!
Chocolate Quinoa Mousse
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (or 1 shot espresso)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Add 1/2 cup of uncooked white quinoa to a medium sized saucepan. Pour 1 cup of water over the quinoa and cook according to the package instructions.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, let it cool on the stovetop.
- Once cooled, add the quinoa, cocoa powder, coffee, salt, maple syrup, coconut milk and vanilla extract to a high speed blender and blend until a smooth mousse forms.
- Scrape into a large dish, cover, and place in the fridge to chill for several hours.
- Once the mousse is chilled, remove it from the fridge. Spoon the mousse into dessert dishes and top with dairy free whipped cream and fresh berries.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge.
This mousse is out of this world! Thank you!
You are so welcome! I am so glad to hear you enjoyed it! Thanks for the feedback!