(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
These chocolate sunbutter rice krispie treats are the absolute best back-to-school treat! There’s just something about crispy, rice cereal coated in sweet sunbutter, topped with chocolate and sea salt that keeps me coming back for more. Seriously, these chocolate sunbutter rice krispie treats are kind of addicting….
Do I have to use sunbutter?
No! If you prefer to use another nut or seed butter instead of sunbutter, go right ahead! This recipe would be delicious with almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, or really any other nut/seed butter. I used sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) to keep this treat nut free and allergy friendly.
What ingredients will I need to make these chocolate sunbutter rice krispie treats?
You’ll just need 6 simple ingredients to make these tasty treats. They are:
- rice cereal (I used brown rice cereal)
- nut or seed butter of choice (I used SunButter)
- pure maple syrup
- pure vanilla extract
- sea salt
- chocolate chips (I used dairy free)
Where can I find dairy free chocolate chips?
- Dairy Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips, I would recommend Enjoy Life Foods dairy free chocolate chips. They have dark, semi-sweet, and white dairy free chocolate chips!
- Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free: If you’re looking for chocolate chips that are dairy free and refined sugar free, I would recommend Hu Kitchen dairy free chocolate chips (they’re sweetened only with dates!). If you want to try these chocolate chips, use my code bigleybasics for 15% off.
- Dairy Free & Sugar Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips that are also sugar free, I would recommend Lily’s stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips. They’re sweetened with stevia!
How do I store these treats?
I like to store these chocolate sunbutter rice krispie treats in the fridge! They’ll last for about a week. You can also store them in the freezer for long term storage!
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe will make between 16-25 servings, just depends how big (or small) you make them!
Looking for more back-to-school treats?
If you’re looking for more easy snacks to make after school, try some of my other recipes below!
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites
- Sweet and Spicy Party Mix
- Homemade Snicker’s Bars
- Triple Chocolate Brownie Batter Truffles
Ready to make these chocolate sunbutter rice krispie treats? The full recipe is below!
Chocolate Sunbutter Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup sunbutter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 6 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I use dairy free)
- Prepare the sunbutter mixture: add the sunbutter, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and salt to a large glass bowl and mix until well combined. Then heat the mixture in the microwave for 30-60 seconds, until warm. Stir until smooth.
- Next, add the rice cereal to the sunbutter mixture and stir gently until the rice cereal is evenly coated in the mixture. Line an 8×8 square dish with parchment paper and place the rice cereal mixture into the dish. Smooth the rice cereal out and set aside.
- Add the chocolate chips to a small glass dish and heat in the microwave until melted, stirring occasionally so the chocolate chips don’t burn. Once the chocolate is melted, pour it over the rice cereal and spread it out until smooth. Sprinkle with sea salt (optional).
- Place the bars in the refrigerator to chill for 15-30 minutes, until the chocolate is hardened. Once the chocolate is hardened, slice into bars and enjoy!