(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
This double chocolate oat flour bread is the perfect breakfast or dessert for any chocolate lover. It’s made with simple, wholesome ingredients, but will be sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. It’s gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free, as well as nut free! It’s the perfect recipe for weekend baking.
How many servings does this recipe make?
This recipe makes one 8×5 loaf. I usually slice it into 10-12 slices!
What ingredients do I need to make this double chocolate bread?
This double chocolate bread requires just several simple ingredients.
- oat flour (I use homemade)
- baking powder
- baking soda
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips (I use dairy free and refined sugar free)
- eggs (flax eggs or regular eggs)
- water or dairy free milk
- unsweetened applesauce
- pure maple syrup or honey
- olive or avocado oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- pure vanilla extract
- vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
Where can I find dairy free chocolate chips?
- Dairy Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips, I would recommend Enjoy Life Foods dairy free chocolate chips. They have dark, semi-sweet, and white dairy free chocolate chips!
- Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free: If you’re looking for chocolate chips that are dairy free and refined sugar free, I would recommend Hu Kitchen dairy free chocolate chips (they’re sweetened only with dates!). If you want to try these chocolate chips, use my code bigleybasics for 15% off.
- Dairy Free & Sugar Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips that are also sugar free, I would recommend Lily’s stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips. They’re sweetened with stevia! Or try Pascha 100% cacao chocolate chips!
Help, I don’t have unsweetened applesauce!
If you don’t have unsweetened applesauce, you can try using dairy free yogurt, pumpkin puree, mashed banana, or nut butter as a substitute. I haven’t tried any of these substitutes in this recipe, but they should work.
What if I don’t have oat flour?
If you don’t have oat flour on hand, that’s totally fine. You can easily make your own at home! To make homemade oat flour simply blend gluten free quick, old fashioned, or rolled oats in a high speed blender (or process them in a food processor). Blend/process until a flour consistency is reached. Check out this video if you want to see how I make my own oat flour!
Do I have to add vinegar/lemon juice?
You don’t need to add vinegar or lemon juice to this recipe but it helps to give the bread a nice rise (the vinegar/lemon juice reacts with the baking soda!). I highly recommend adding it if you can!
Do I have to add chocolate chips?
No! If you don’t want to add chocolate chips to this recipe, feel free to use another mix-in like chopped nuts or some berries. Or just omit the chocolate chips entirely!
How do I store this loaf?
I like to store this loaf in an airtight container on the counter for several days or in the fridge for up to 5 days. For long term storage, simply slice this loaf and store it in the freezer.
Looking for more delicious quick breads?
Try some of my other recipes below!
Ready to make this double chocolate oat flour bread? The full recipe is below!
Double Chocolate Oat Flour Bread
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water or dairy free milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- 3 flax eggs or regular eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice (optional, but recommended)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use dairy free and refined sugar free)
- Line an 8×5 loaf pan with parchment paper (or you can simply grease it well with cooking spray) and set aside.
- Next, whisk together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, adding each one at a time. Once all of the wet ingredients are added, whisk the batter well until it is smooth and there are no lumps. Then stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with additional chocolate chips. Preheat the oven to 350°F and let the batter rest for 30 minutes before putting the loaf in the oven.
- Bake the loaf for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once baked, let the chocolate bread cool completely in the pan.
- Once the bread is completely cooled, remove it from the pan and slice. Enjoy immediately!