(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
I didn’t think strawberry shortcakes could get any better. Then I made double chocolate strawberry shortcakes. I am obsessed! If you love strawberries, shortcake, and chocolate, you’ll adore this fun twist on the classic recipe. Not only are these strawberry shortcakes full of rich chocolate flavor, but they’re also gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. Honestly, this might be my new favorite summer treat!
What ingredients do I need to make this dessert?
If you want to make these double chocolate strawberry shortcakes, here’s what you’ll need:
- oat flour
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- unsweetened yogurt (I used dairy free)
- pure maple syrup (or honey)
- pure vanilla extract
- strongly brewed coffee/espresso (or water)
- chocolate chips (I used dairy free)
Do I have to add coffee to this recipe?
You don’t need to add coffee to this recipe, but the coffee helps to enhance the chocolate flavor. I highly recommend adding coffee to the batter if possible (decaf or regular). Even instant coffee would work or a coffee alternate! If you don’t have any coffee on hand or don’t prefer to use it, you can simply replace it with water or dairy free milk.
Which dairy free yogurt do you use?
I like to use Forager Project unsweetened cashew milk dairy free yogurt. Another great option is Kite Hill unsweetened dairy free yogurt. Feel free to use whatever dairy free yogurt you prefer, or just use regular yogurt instead. Either one will work!
What kind of dairy free whipped topping do you use?
I like to make my own dairy free whipped cream using canned coconut milk. You can find the recipe on my old blog. Another option is using So Delicious dairy free whipped topping. It is so delicious (no pun intended….).
Where can I find dairy free chocolate?
I used Enjoy Life Foods dairy free chocolate chips in this recipe. Their chocolate is allergy friendly and free from 14 top allergens. You can find it in most grocery stores and online. It tastes sooo delicious in this recipe!
How do I store these double chocolate strawberry shortcakes?
You’ll want to store these double chocolate strawberry shortcakes in the fridge. I find that when the shortcakes are chilled, the flavor is even better. Once the shortcakes have baked and cooled, I store them in the fridge until serving. I simply cut them in half, top with dairy free whipped cream and strawberries, and enjoy! Store any leftovers in the fridge.
How many double chocolate strawberry shortcakes does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 6-8 double chocolate shortcakes. If you make 6 shortcakes, they will be nice and large. If you make 8 shortcakes, they will be medium sized. Feel free to make them whatever size you prefer!
Looking for more summer desserts?
If you’re in the mood for fun summer treats, try some of my favorite summer recipes below!
- Frozen Snickers Banana Popsicles
- Blueberry Chia Seed Pudding
- Strawberry Frosted Chocolate Donuts
- Low Sugar Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
Ready to make these double chocolate strawberry shortcakes? The full recipe is below!
Double Chocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy free plain unsweetened yogurt
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp strongly brewed coffee or espresso (or water)
- 1/2 cup ricemilk baking morsels
- 1/4 cup ricemilk baking morsels (separate from above)
For the Topping
- Fresh strawberries
- Dairy free whipped topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- While the oven preheats, add all of the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix together (except for the chocolate chips).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix again until the batter is smooth. Gently fold in ½ cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter with a ⅓ cup measuring cup and place on the lined baking sheet. This recipe makes 6-8 shortcakes. Make sure to space the shortcakes several inches from each other as they will rise while in the oven.
- Sprinkle the shortcakes with the remaining ¼ cup chocolate chips and then bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the shortcakes bake, slice the strawberries and place in the fridge to chill.
- After 15 minutes, remove the shortcakes from the oven and allow them to cool completely.
- Once the shortcakes are cooled, slice them in half. Simply place the shortcakes on a cutting board and gently glide a serrated knife through the middle of the shortcakes.
- Layer the shortcakes with whipped topping and the chilled sliced strawberries.