(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
Ready for a chocolate chip cookie dough recipe you can eat straight from the bowl? This edible chocolate chip cookie dough is the perfect treat for anyone who prefers the cookie dough over the baked cookies! It’s vegan, gluten free, grain free, paleo, and sugar free friendly. And, it’s naturally high in protein because it is made from chickpeas (I promise you can’t taste them!). And yes, you can bake this edible cookie dough! Details on how to do that below.
How can I make this chocolate chip cookie dough sugar free?
I used pure maple syrup and vegan dark chocolate chips when I made this recipe, but you can easily use sugar free maple syrup and sugar free dark chocolate chips instead.
What ingredients do I need for this edible chocolate chip cookie dough?
If you want to make this cookie dough, here’s what you’ll need:
- chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
- almond flour
- almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
- pure vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
What other nut/seed butters could I use?
If you don’t want to use almond butter in this recipe, you could use any other nut or seed butter you prefer. I would recommend cashew butter, peanut butter, or sunflower seed butter. Depending what type of nut butter you use, you may need to use less almond flour. If you use a thick nut butter, start with 3/4 cup almond flour and only add more if needed.
Will I taste the chickpeas?
No, you will not taste the chickpeas in this recipe! I never tell people that there are chickpeas in this recipe, and they never know. It can be our little secret!
Can I bake this chocolate chip cookie dough?
This is probably the question I get asked the most about this recipe! Yes, you can absolutely bake this chocolate chip cookie dough and turn it into delicious chocolate chip cookies!
To make chocolate chip cookies, simply add 1/4 cup water or dairy free milk and 1 1/2 tsp baking powder to the batter once it is fully mixed. Scoop cookie dough batter with a cookie dough scoop and place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper (or greased with cooking spray). I like to flatten the cookie dough a bit using a fork. Then bake at 350°F for 20 minutes.
Like edible cookie dough?
I love edible cookie dough. If you’re like me, you’ll definitely want to try these other recipes as well!
Ready to make edible chocolate chip cookie dough? Here’s the recipe!
Edible Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- 1 (15oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor (except the almond flour and chocolate chips) and process until the batter is smooth. You could also try blending the ingredients together in a high speed blender if you don’t have a food processor. I haven’t tried this, but it might work.
- Once the batter is smooth, stir in almond flour and chocolate chips by hand. Start with 3/4 a cup almond flour and add more if the batter is too runny. I used 1 cup of almond flour. If you use a thick nut butter, you may need less than 1 cup.
- Scrape the batter into little dessert dishes and enjoy. Or enjoy from the bowl with a spoon like I do!
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.