Who wants a bite of this fudgy, flourless chocolate torte drizzled with a sweet pomegranate syrup? It’s gluten free, dairy free, paleo, and refined sugar free, and can even be made keto and sugar free friendly! This flourless chocolate torte is perfect for Valentine’s Day (or really for any occasion). If you love chocolate, you have to give it a try!
What ingredients do I need for this flourless chocolate torte?
You’ll need several simple ingredients to make this flourless chocolate torte. They are:
- almond flour (or oat flour, see below)
- cocoa powder
- coconut sugar
- instant coffee (optional)
- pure vanilla extract
- dairy free milk (or water)
- flax eggs or regular eggs
- coconut oil (or dairy free butter)
- dairy free dark chocolate (or unsweetened chocolate, see below)
Where can I find dairy free chocolate?
- Dairy Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips, I would recommend Enjoy Life Foods dairy free chocolate chips. They have dark, semi-sweet, and white dairy free chocolate chips!
- Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free: If you’re looking for chocolate chips that are dairy free and refined sugar free, I would recommend Hu Kitchen dairy free chocolate chips (they’re sweetened only with dates!). If you want to try these chocolate chips, use my code bigleybasics for 15% off.
- Dairy Free & Sugar Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips that are also sugar free, I would recommend Lily’s stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips. They’re sweetened with stevia!
What if I don’t have instant coffee?
If you don’t have instant coffee on hand you can simply omit the instant coffee from the recipe and replace the water with brewed coffee. Or simply just omit the coffee from the recipe altogether.
Can I use a different flour?
If you’re allergic to almonds or you prefer not to use almond flour, you can use oat flour instead. If you use oat flour instead of almond flour use 1/4 cup coconut oil in this torte instead of 2 TBS coconut oil.
How do I make my own chocolate ganache?
If you want to make your own chocolate ganache using unsweetened chocolate (instead of using dark chocolate for the ganache), simply follow these instructions: add 2oz unsweetened chocolate and 1 1/2 tsp coconut oil to a small saucepan and heat them together over low heat until the chocolate is completely melted, stirring frequently.
You can also heat the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave if preferred. If you melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave, make sure to stop and stir it every minute so that it doesn’t burn. Once the chocolate is melted with the coconut oil, stir in 3 TBS maple syrup, 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, and 1/8 tsp salt.
How do I make this recipe sugar free and keto friendly?
If you need to make this recipe sugar free, simply replace the coconut sugar with monk fruit and use a sugar free chocolate for the ganache. Lily’s offers delicious sugar free chocolate!
How do I store this chocolate torte?
I recommend storing this cake in the fridge, as it will last longer than stored on the countertop. You can store it in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Looking for more decadent chocolate recipes?
Try some of my favorites!
- Double Chocolate Brownies
- No Bake Double Chocolate Cheesecake
- Double Chocolate Oat FLour Muffins
- Decadent Double Chocolate Cupcakes
- Double Chocolate Layered Cake
Ready to make this decadent chocolate torte? The full recipe is below!
Flourless Chocolate Torte with Pomegranate Syrup
For the Torte
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk (or water)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax or regular eggs
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
For the Ganache
- 6 oz dark chocolate (I use dairy free)
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk (or water)
For the Optional Pomegranate Syrup
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup pomegranate juice powder (or other flavor – strawberry, raspberry, etc.)
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line an 8-inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- While the oven preheats, whisk together all of the dry ingredients for the cchocolate torte in a large bowl. Then add the wet ingredients one at a time and whisk well until the batter is smooth and thoroughly combined.
- Add the torte batter to the lined cake pan and bake the torte for 30-35 minutes, until set. After the torte is baked, let it cool.
- Once the torte has cooled, prepare the chocolate ganache. Place the chocolate in large glass bowl and set aside. Next, heat the dairy free milk in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot. Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir the chocolate and the heated milk until all of the chocolate is melted. If all of the chocolate isn't melting, you can heat the chocolate and milk in the microwave or on the stovetop for a couple seconds until the chocolate is fully melted.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the torte and spread it out evenly with a spatula. Place the torte in the fridge to chill for several hours.
- While the torte chills in the fridge, prepare the optional pomegranate syrup: Add the maple syrup, water, and pomegranate juice powder to a small saucepan and whisk until well combined. Once thoroughly mixed, heat the mixture over low heat until it begins to bubble. Let it bubble for 1 minute (stirring occasionally) then remove it from the heat and let it cool completely. You can also heat it in the microwave if you prefer (make sure it is mixed well before you heat it). Heat it in the microwave until it begins to bubble. Set aside to cool.
- Once the chocolate torte has chilled for several hours (and the chocolate ganache is fully hardened), remove it from the fridge and serve: slice the torte with a sharp knife and drizzle each slice with pomegranate syrup.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To make a chocolate ganache with unsweetened chocolate, see notes in the body of the blog post above.
- To make the recipe sugar free, see notes in the body of the blog post above.
- For a fudgey torte, bake for 30 minutes. For a firmer torte, bake for 35 minutes.
- This torte is delicious served with dairy free whipped cream, fresh berries, or a berry puree.
- If the pomegranate syrup has thickened too much, simply reheat it to thin it out.