Calling all chocolate chip cookie lovers, this recipe is for you! These chocolate chip cookies are gluten free, grain free, paleo, vegan, refined sugar free and sugar free friendly. They’re super easy to make and packed full of protein and fiber. If you love chocolate chip cookies, you’ll love these!
How can I make these chocolate chip cookies sugar free?
I used pure maple syrup and vegan dark chocolate chips when I made this recipe, but you can easily use sugar free maple syrup and sugar free dark chocolate chips instead.
What ingredients do I need for these chocolate chip cookies?
If you want to make these chocolate chip cookies, here’s what you’ll need:
- chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans)
- almond flour
- almond butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- pure maple syrup (or raw honey)
- pure vanilla extract
- baking powder
- chocolate chips
What other nut/seed butters could I use?
If you don’t want to use almond butter in this recipe, you could use any other nut or seed butter you prefer. I would recommend cashew butter, peanut butter, or sunflower seed butter. Depending what type of nut butter you use, you may need to use less almond flour. If you use a thick nut butter, start with 3/4 cup almond flour and only add more if needed.
What chocolate chips do you use?
I like to use either Hu Kitchen vegan chocolate chips or Enjoy Life Foods vegan dark chocolate chips. Enjoy Life Foods has both dark and semi-sweet chocolate chips, as well as white chocolate chips. Hu Kitchen’s chocolate chips are sweetened only with dates. If you want to use Hu Kitchen vegan chocolate chips, use my code thebigleybasics for 15% off.
Will I taste the chickpeas?
No, you will not taste the chickpeas in this recipe! Promise.
How do I store these chocolate chip cookies?
I like to store these cookies in an airtight container for 4-5 days. You can store them on the counter or in the fridge!
Want more gluten free cookies?
If you’re gluten free but love cookies, check out some of these other recipes!
- 6 Ingredient Flourless Brownie Cookies
- Homemade Samoas Cookies
- 7 Ingredient Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Single Serve Pumpkin Cookie
Ready to make these cookies? Full recipe below!
Grain Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 (15oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper (or spray well with cooking spray).
- While the oven preheats, add all of the ingredients to a food processor (except the almond flour and chocolate chips) and process until the batter is smooth. You could also try blending the ingredients together in a high speed blender if you don’t have a food processor. I haven’t tried this, but it might work.
- Once the batter is smooth, stir in almond flour and chocolate chips by hand. Start with 3/4 a cup almond flour and add more if the batter is too runny. I used 1 cup of almond flour but if you use a thick nut butter, you may need less than 1 cup.
- Scoop the batter with a cookie dough scoop and place on the prepared baking tray.
- Using a fork, lightly press down on the top of the cookies to flatten them (they won't flatten much while baking so you'll want to flatten them a bit before baking).
- Bake cookies for 20 minutes.
- Let cookies cool slightly before enjoying!