(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
Looking for a hearty, nutritious, and delicious pancake recipe? These oatmeal pancakes are gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free, as well as whole grain and high in fiber. They’re the perfect weekend brunch and so delicious with chocolate chips or blueberries mixed into the batter!
How many servings does this recipe make?
I find this recipe makes about 4 servings!
What ingredients do I need for these hearty oatmeal pancakes?
If you want to make these hearty oatmeal pancakes, here’s what you’ll need:
- flour of choice (see below)
- rolled/old fashioned oats (I like certified gluten free oats)
- baking powder
- dairy free milk
- pure vanilla extract
- olive oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- eggs (or flax eggs)
- pure maple syrup (or other sweetener, see below)
What kind of flour can I use?
You can use oat flour, gluten free 1-1 all purpose flour, cassava flour, or regular all purpose flour.
What kind of sweetener should I use in the pancakes?
I used pure maple syrup in the pancake batter but you could use another liquid sweetener like honey or date syrup. You could also try a granulated sweetener like coconut sugar or monk fruit. If you use a granulated sweetener instead of a liquid sweeter, add a little bit more dairy free milk to the pancake batter (2-4 TBS). You can also omit the sweetener if you prefer, but I think the pancakes are better with the sweetener added. If you omit the sugar, omit the salt as well, or else the pancakes will taste a bit salty!
What mix-ins can I add to the pancakes?
These pancakes are delicious with chocolate chips, blueberries, or any other berry mixed into the batter. I personally prefer chocolate chips, but feel free to use whatever mix-ins you prefer.
What toppings should I use?
You can use whatever toppings you like! We love nut butter, fresh fruit, and pure maple syrup!
Looking for more pancake recipes?
There are so many fun ways to make pancakes! Here are some more recipes for you to try.
Ready to make these hearty oatmeal pancakes? Here’s the recipe!
Hearty Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1 cup flour (regular or gluten free 1-1 all purpose flour, oat flour or cassava flour)
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned/rolled oats
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups dairy free milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- 2 eggs (or flax eggs)
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup (or honey)
- Add the oats to a large bowl. Pour the dairy free milk over the oats and let them sit until the liquid is absorbed (about 5-10 minutes).
- Next, add the remaining ingredients to the soaked oats and mix the batter well. Depending on the type of flour you use, you might need to let the batter sit for a couple minutes to thicken.
- Bring eat a griddle or skillet to medium-low heat and grease lightly with coconut oil or olive oil.
- Pour the batter, by 1/4 – 1/2 cup, onto the griddle/skillet and cook the pancakes for several minutes on each side until cooked through (time will depend on the size of your pancakes).
- Top pancakes with whatever toppings you like and enjoy!