(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
Have you ever made homemade peppermint bark? It requires just 4 ingredients and takes less than an hour to make, start to finish! It’s super easy to make and is gluten and dairy free. You can get creative with the toppings and include things like chopped nuts, pretzels, or other candies if you like. If you’re looking for a super simple and tasty holiday treat to share with others, I highly recommend this peppermint bark!
How long does peppermint bark last?
Homemade peppermint bark will last for several weeks. You can store it in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge. If you store it in the fridge, I recommend letting it sit out for awhile before serving it (or else the chocolate gets a little bit hard!).
What ingredients do I need to make peppermint bark?
You’ll need just 4 simple ingredients to make peppermint bark. They are:
- dark chocolate (I use dairy free)
- white chocolate (I use dairy free)
- peppermint extract
- candy canes/peppermint candy
How do I make peppermint bark allergy friendly?
To ensure the peppermint bark is allergy friendly, I highly recommend using Enjoy Life dairy free white and dark chocolate. Their products are free from 14 common allergens, including gluten, dairy, nuts, and soy! I would also recommend using Yum Earth candy canes since they are allergy friendly, organic, and contain no artificial flavors or colors.
How do I melt the chocolate?
You can melt the dark and white chocolate in the microwave or using the double boiler method!
Love the chocolate peppermint pairing?
Try some of my other delicious chocolate peppermint recipes below!
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Chocolate Frosted Peppermint Fudge Brownies
- Peppermint Mocha Donuts
- 3 Ingredient Christmas Truffles (flavors include peppermint and peppermint bark!)
Ready to make homemade peppermint bark? The full recipe is below!
Homemade Peppermint Bark
- 12 oz dark chocolate
- 12 oz white chocolate
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 regular sized candy canes, crushed
- Add the dark chocolate to a microwave safe glass bowl and heat until the chocolate is melted, stirring frequently so the chocolate doesn't burn. You can also melt the chocolate using the double boiler method. Once the dark chocolate is melted, stir in ½ tsp peppermint extract and mix well.
- Next, line a small baking tray with parchment paper. Pour the melted dark chocolate onto the parchment paper and spread the chocolate out with a spatula to form a rectangular shape. You can make the dark chocolate layer as thin or as thick as you want.
- Place the tray in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden. Once the dark chocolate has hardened, remove it from the fridge.
- Melt the white chocolate using the same method as the dark chocolate. Once the white chocolate is melted, pour it over the hardened dark chocolate.
- Carefully spread the white chocolate out with a spatula to cover the entire dark chocolate layer. Top the white chocolate immediately with crushed candy canes and place the tray back in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes to allow the white chocolate to harden.
- Once the white chocolate has hardened, remove the peppermint bark from the fridge and break or slice it into pieces (you might need to let the peppermint bark sit out and soften for a little bit before breaking/slicing it).
- Store the peppermint bark in a sealed container on the counter for 2 weeks or in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.