(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
Have you ever made your own homemade peppermint bark? It requires only 4 ingredients and takes less than an hour! Plus, it’s super easy to make vegan, gluten free, nut free, or sugar free.
You can even get creative with the toppings and include things like chopped nuts, pretzels, or other candies. If you’re looking for a super simple and tasty holiday treat to share with others, I highly recommend making this peppermint bark!
How long does peppermint bark last?
Homemade peppermint bark will last for several weeks. You can store it in an airtight container on the counter or in the fridge. If you store it in the fridge, I recommend letting it sit out for awhile before serving it (or else the chocolate is a little tough to bite into!).
What ingredients do I need to make peppermint bark?
You’ll need just 4 simple ingredients to make peppermint bark. They are:
- dark chocolate
- white chocolate
- peppermint extract
- candy canes
How do I make the peppermint bark allergy friendly?
If you need the peppermint bark to be gluten free, dairy free, or nut free, I highly recommend using Enjoy Life chocolate. Their products are free from 14 common allergens, including gluten, dairy, nuts, and soy.
How do I make the peppermint bark sugar free?
If you want to make sugar free peppermint bark, you’ll want to use sugar free dark and white chocolate. Lily’s Sweets has great sugar free dark and white chocolate options. You’ll also need to get sugar free candy canes or peppermint candy, which you can find online and in some stores!
How do I melt the chocolate?
You can melt the dark and white chocolate in the microwave or using the double boiler method. If you melt the chocolate in the microwave, it will help to add a little bit of coconut oil (or vegan butter) to the chocolate to help it melt smoothly (about 1-3 tsp). This isn’t necessary, but will help to thin the chocolate and melt smoothly.
Ready to make the peppermint bark? Here’s the recipe!
Homemade Peppermint Bark
- 12 oz dark chocolate
- 12 oz white chocolate
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2-3 regular sized candy canes, crushed
- Add the dark chocolate to a microwave safe glass bowl and microwave it in 30 second increments, until the chocolate is fully melted. Stir the chocolate once every 30 seconds.
- While the chocolate is being microwaved, line a small baking tray with parchment paper.
- Once the dark chocolate is melted, stir in ½ tsp peppermint extract and mix it well.
- Pour the melted dark chocolate onto the parchment paper and spread the chocolate out with a spatula to form a rectangular shape. You can make the dark chocolate layer as thin or as thick as you want.
- Place the baking tray in the fridge for about 20 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
- Once the dark chocolate is hardened, remove it from the fridge.
- Repeat step one with the white chocolate. Once the white chocolate is melted, pour it over the hardened dark chocolate.
- Carefully spread the white chocolate with a spatula to cover the entire dark chocolate layer.
- Top the white chocolate immediately with crushed candy canes and place the tray back in the fridge to allow the bark to harden, for about 20 minutes.
- Once the white chocolate has hardened, remove the peppermint bark from the fridge and break or slice it into pieces (you might need to let the peppermint bark sit out and soften for a little bit before breaking/slicing it).
- Store the peppermint bark in a sealed container on the counter for 2 weeks or in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.