(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
Calling all lemon lovers! These low sugar lemon poppyseed muffins are the perfect breakfast or sweet treat. They’re gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free, as well as packed full of fiber and vitamin c. If you’re looking for a light and sweet summer treat, give these lemon poppyseed muffins a try!
What ingredients will I need to make these lemon poppyseed muffins?
You’ll need just several simple ingredients to make these lemon poppyseed muffins. They are:
- oat flour (I use homemade)
- baking powder
- baking soda
- flax eggs or regular eggs
- honey (or pure maple syrup)
- pure almond extract
- unsweetened yogurt (I use dairy free)
- coconut oil (or olive oil)
What kind of dairy free yogurt do you use?
I use Forager Project unsweetened cashew milk dairy free yogurt. I love this yogurt because there are only a couple simple ingredients used!
What kind of oil should I use?
I like to use melted coconut oil or olive in this recipe, either one works!
How do I make homemade oat flour?
It’s very easy to make homemade oat flour. Simply blend rolled or quick oats in a high speed blender until they turn into flour. If you want more details, you can watch my oat flour tutorial video.
How many lemon poppyseed muffins does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 10-12 large muffins. You could also make mini muffins using this batter. If you do, just bake the muffins for about 15-20 minutes.
Looking for more muffin recipes?
If you’re in the mood for more muffin recipes, try some of my favorites below!
- Chocolate Chip Oat Flour Muffins
- Double Chocolate Oat Flour Muffins
- Light and Fluffy Blueberry Muffins
- Cinnamon Sugar Oat Flour Muffins
- Hearty Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Ready to make these lemon poppyseed muffins? The full recipe is below!
Low Sugar Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- 2 1/4 cups oat flour
- 2 tbsp poppyseeds
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 cup honey or pure maple syrup
- 3/4 cup unsweetened yogurt
- 2 flax eggs or regular eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- Zest from 1 large lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Gently spray the cupcake liners with cooking spray. If you want to omit the cupcake liners, simply spray the muffin tins with cooking spray.
- While the oven is preheating, add all of the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Whisk well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk again, until everything is well combined.
- Distribute the batter evenly between the muffin tins. This recipe makes 10-12 muffins, depending on the size.
- Bake muffins at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins for 15-20 minutes on a cooling rack before removing muffins from the muffin tins.
- Once completely cooled, store muffins in an airtight container for 3-5 days or freeze for long term storage.