March is here, along with all the spring themed desserts! This Key lime pie is a family favorite. It’s gluten free, dairy free, grain free, and refined sugar free. If you’re looking for a simple springtime dessert or something festive for St. Patrick’s Day, this is the perfect recipe for you! It’s made with a secret ingredient that gives it a silky and smooth texture, more info on that secret ingredient below.
Can I make Key lime pie bars?
If you want to make Key lime bars instead of Key lime pie, that should work! You will want to put the crust is an 8×8 square baking dish lined with parchment paper (or greased well with cooking spray) and bake the bars according to the pie instructions below. The baking time might vary slightly for the bars.
What ingredients will I need to make this Key lime pie?
To make this Key lime pie, you’ll need just 7 simple ingredients. They are:
- almond flour
- raw cashews (or cashew butter)
- pure maple syrup (or honey)
- regular or Key limes
- tofu (the secret ingredient!)
- pure vanilla extract
Can you taste the tofu in the Key lime pie?
No! I promise will not taste the tofu in this recipe. The tofu just helps to give the Key lime filling a silky and smooth texture and helps to hold the filling together. I have had friends and family try this recipe (many of whom wouldn’t normally touch tofu), and they are obsessed! I never tell people there’s tofu in the recipe until they’ve admitted to loving it, then I let them know. You won’t even taste the tofu.
Help, I don’t have raw cashews!
If you don’t have raw cashews, don’t worry about it. You can replace the 1 cup of raw cashews with 1/2 cup of cashew butter instead. If you don’t have a high speed blender, I would actually recommend using cashew butter instead of raw cashews (or else the cashews might not blend up well).
I don’t have Key limes or regular limes….
If you don’t have fresh Key limes or regular limes, you can simply use bottled lime juice instead. I personally prefer to use fresh limes for the freshest taste (and so that I can add the lime zest to the recipe), but bottled lime juice will work fine too. Using bottled lime juice is a great way to save time (no need to juice all the limes!).
How do I store this Key lime pie?
You will want to store the Key lime pie in the fridge for 4-5 days or you can freeze it for long term storage!
If you like this recipe…
Then you’ll definitely like these other spring inspired recipes!
- Glazed Lemon Loaf
- Light and Fluffy Blueberry Muffins
- Raspberry White Chocolate Muffins
- Low Sugar Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Glazed Cranberry Orange Loaf
Ready to make this delicious Key lime pie? The full recipe is below!
Key Lime Pie
For the Crust
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Filling
- 12 oz package of firm tofu (I used lite firm)
- 1 cup raw cashews (or 1/2 cup cashew butter)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (or honey)
- 2/3 cup fresh key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
- zest from the limes (optional, but delicious)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray (grease really well!).
- While the oven is preheating, stir together the crust ingredients in a large bowl. Once the crust is fully mixed, add the crust to the greased pie plate. Smooth the crust out with parchment paper until it covers the entire pie plate. Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the Key lime filling. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender and process/blend until smooth.
- Once the crust has baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. While the crust cools, turn the oven down to 325°F.
- Once the crust has cooled for 10 minutes, pour the Key lime filling over the baked crust and place the pie back in the oven. Bake the pie at 325°F for 45 minutes, or until the filling is set.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely. Once cooled, refrigerate the pie for several hours until completely chilled.
- Serve the pie straight from the fridge (I like to serve with dairy-free whipped cream). Store leftovers in the fridge for 4-5 days!