(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
March is here, along with all the spring themed desserts! This Key lime pie is a family favorite. It’s vegan, gluten free, grain free, paleo, and sugar free friendly. If you’re looking for a simple springtime dessert or something festive for St. Patrick’s Day, this is the perfect recipe for you! It’s made with a secret ingredient that gives it a silky and smooth texture, more info on that secret ingredient below.
How do I make this Key lime pie sugar free?
If you want to make this Key lime pie sugar free, you’ll want to use sugar free maple syrup for this recipe. I used pure maple syrup, but sugar free maple syrup should also work.
What ingredients will I need to make this Key lime pie?
To make this Key lime pie, you’ll need just 8 simple ingredients. They are:
- almond flour
- raw cashews (or cashew butter)
- pure maple syrup
- fresh key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
- lime zest
- tofu (the secret ingredient!)
- pure vanilla extract
Can you taste the tofu in the Key lime pie?
I promise will not taste the tofu in this recipe. The tofu just helps to give the Key lime filling a silky and smooth texture and helps to hold the filling together. I have had tons of friends and family try this recipe who wouldn’t normally touch tofu, and they are obsessed! I never tell people there’s tofu in the recipe until they’ve admitted to loving it, then I’ll let them know. I promise you too will love this pie!
Help, I don’t have raw cashews!
If you don’t have raw cashews, don’t worry about it. You can replace the raw cashews with 1/2 cup of cashew butter instead. If you don’t have a high speed blender, I would actually recommend using cashew butter instead of raw cashews (or else the cashews might not blend up well).
I don’t have Key limes or regular limes….
If you don’t have fresh Key limes or regular limes, you can simply use bottled lime juice instead. I personally prefer to use fresh limes for the freshest taste (and so that I can add the lime zest to the recipe), but bottled lime juice will work fine too. Using bottled lime juice is a great way to save time (no need to juice all of those limes!).
Can I make Key lime pie bars?
If you want to make Key lime bars instead of Key lime pie, that should work! You will want to put the crust is an 8 inch square baking dish lined with parchment paper (or greased well with cooking spray) and bake the bars according to the instructions below. The baking time might vary slightly for the bars.
How do I store this Key lime pie?
You will want to store the Key lime pie in the fridge for 4-5 days, or you can freeze it for long term storage!
If you like this recipe…
Then you’ll definitely like these other pie-inspired recipes!
Ready to make this delicious Key lime pie? The full recipe is below!
Key Lime Pie
For the Crust
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Filling
- 12 oz package of firm tofu (I used lite firm)
- 1 cup raw cashews (or 1/2 cup cashew butter)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2/3 cup fresh key lime juice (or regular lime juice)
- Zest from the limes (optional, but delicious)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease an 8-inch glass pie plate with cooking spray (grease really well).
- While the oven is preheating, stir together the crust ingredients in a large bowl. Once the crust is fully combined, add the crust to the greased pie plate.
- Smooth the crust out with parchment paper until it covers the entire pie plate.
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, prepare the Key lime filling. Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or high speed blender and process/blend until smooth.
- Once the crust has baked, remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. While the crust cools, turn the oven down to 325°F.
- After 10 minutes pour the filling over the baked crust and bake the pie at 325°F for 45 minutes, until the filling is set.
- Once baked, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool completely. Once cooled, refrigerate the pie for several hours, until completely chilled.
- Serve the pie chilled (I like to serve with dairy-free whipped cream).
- Store leftovers in the fridge for 4-5 days.