(This post may contain affiliate links. As an affiliate of Amazon and select brands, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.)
These peppermint mocha chocolate lava cakes are rich, fudgy, and so delicious. They’re gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free, and can even be made keto, sugar free, and paleo! They’re made with just a couple simple ingredients and are simply irresistible.
How many lava cakes does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 6 lava cakes. If you need more lava cakes, feel free to double or triple the recipe!
What ingredients do I need to make these lava cakes?
You’ll need just a couple simple ingredients to make these lava cakes! They’re all listed below.
Lava Cake Ingredients
- oat flour (I use homemade)
- cocoa powder
- instant coffee (optional, see below)
- vanilla extract
- peppermint extract
- coconut oil, melted (or dairy free butter, melted)
- semi sweet chocolate (I use dairy free)
- whipped topping (I used dairy free)
- melted chocolate (I used dairy free)
- crushed peppermint candy
How do I make homemade oat flour?
To make homemade oat flour simply blend gluten free quick, old fashioned, or rolled oats in a high speed blender (or process them in a food processor). Blend/process until a flour consistency is reached. Check out this video if you want to see how I make my own oat flour!
Do I have to add coffee to this recipe?
No! If you don’t want to add coffee to this recipe, feel free to omit the instant coffee. You will be left with delicious peppermint chocolate lava cakes!
Where can I find sugar free chocolate?
Lily’s offers delicious sugar free chocolate!
Where can I find dairy free chocolate?
- Dairy Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips, I would recommend Enjoy Life Foods dairy free chocolate chips. They have dark, semi-sweet, and white dairy free chocolate chips!
- Dairy Free and Refined Sugar Free: If you’re looking for chocolate chips that are dairy free and refined sugar free, I would recommend Hu Kitchen dairy free chocolate chips (they’re sweetened only with dates!). If you want to try these chocolate chips, use my code bigleybasics for 15% off.
- Dairy Free & Sugar Free: If you’re looking for dairy free chocolate chips that are also sugar free, I would recommend Lily’s stevia sweetened dark chocolate chips. They’re sweetened with stevia!
Where can I find dairy free whipped topping?
I like to make my own dairy free whipped cream using canned coconut milk. You can find my recipe on my old blog. Another option is using So Delicious dairy free whipped topping. It is so delicious (no pun intended….).
Do I have to use coconut oil?
No, you don’t! If you are allergic to coconut oil or don’t prefer to use it, you can use melted dairy free or regular butter instead.
How do I make this recipe paleo or keto?
To make this recipe paleo, simply replace the oat flour with additional cocoa powder. To make the recipe keto, simple replace the oat flour with additional cocoa powder and be sure to use sugar free chocolate!
How do I store these peppermint mocha lava cakes?
I recommend storing these lava cakes in a sealed container in the fridge. You can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days!
Looking for more fudgy chocolate recipes?
Try some of my other delicious chocolate recipes below!
- Chocolate Frosted Peppermint Fudge Brownies
- Triple Chocolate Brownie Batter Truffles
- Chocolate Fudge Popsicles
- Double Chocolate Brownies
Ready to make these peppermint mocha chocolate lava cakes? The full recipe is below!
Peppermint Mocha Chocolate Lava Cakes
For the Chocolate Lava Cakes
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP instant coffee (optional)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (or dairy free butter, melted)
- 8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, melted (I use dairy free)
- 3 eggs eggs, at room temperature
For the Optional Topping
- whipped topping (I use dairy free)
- melted semi-sweet chocolate ( I use dairy free)
- crushed peppermint candy
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and generously grease a 6-cup muffin tin with cooking spray. Dust the greased muffin cups with cocoa powder.
- While the oven is heating up, add the eggs to a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Then add all of the remaining lava cake ingredients . Once the other ingredients are added, whisk everything together until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Evenly divide the batter between the 6 muffin cups and place the lava cakes in the oven. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the sides are firm but the center is still gooey.
- Once baked, remove the lava cakes from the oven. Let cool for several minutes then carefully remove the lava cakes from the muffin pan and plate. Top with dairy free whipped cream, melted chocolate, and crushed peppermint candy.