Imagine all of your favorite fall spices in one delicious cake frosted with a sweet and slightly tangy cream cheese frosting. Now imagine that the cake is gluten free, dairy free, and refined sugar free. It doesn’t get much better than that, does it? It just so happens that this cream cheese frosted spice cake is exactly what you have been imagining! It’s super flavorful, very moist, and extremely easy to make.
Do I have to make a 2 tiered cake?
This recipe makes a two layer 8-inch round cake. If you want to keep it simple and make a one layer cake, simply cut the cake and frosting ingredients in half. Follow the instructions as described, but add your cake batter to only one 8-inch cake pan (as opposed to two). Once the cake is cooled, simply frost the top and enjoy!
What ingredients will I need to make this frosted spice cake?
This spice cake requires several simple ingredients. Here’s what you”ll need:
- oat flour (I use homemade)
- coconut sugar
- baking powder & baking soda
- sea salt
- spices (cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, & ginger)
- pure vanilla extract
- olive or coconut oil
- flax or regular eggs
- milk of choice (I use dairy free)
- unsweetened applesauce (or pumpkin purée)
- plain cream cheese (I use diary free)
How do I make homemade oat flour?
To make your own oat flour, simply blend rolled, old fashioned or quick oats in a high speed blender until they turn into flour. See a video of how I make homemade oat flour here.
Can I use a different sweetener?
If you don’t want to use coconut sugar in the cake and frosting, you can try using monk fruit instead!
What if I don’t have applesauce?
If you don’t have unsweetened applesauce (or don’t prefer it), feel free to substitute it for pumpkin purée. I haven’t tried this yet, but it should work and taste delicious!
Where can I find dairy free cream cheese?
Kite Hill offers great dairy free cream cheese options. I use their plain unsweetened version!
Looking for more cake recipes?
Try some of my other delicious cakes and cupcakes below!
- Flourless Coffee Cake
- Chai Latte Cupcakes
- Sweet Maple Frosted Pumpkin Cake
- Maple Frosted Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- Double Chocolate Layered Cake
- Decadent Double Chocolate Cupcakes
Ready to make this delicious cream cheese frosted spice cake? The full recipe is below!
Cream Cheese Frosted Spice Cake
For the Cake
- 3 cups oat flour (I use homemade)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp ginger
- 3 eggs (flax or regular eggs)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or coconut oil, melted)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (I use dairy free)
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
For the Frosting
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (I use dairy free)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk of choice (I use dairy free)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease two 8-in cake pans with cooking spray or coconut oil. Then lightly dust with oat flour.
- While the oven is heating up, whisk together all of the spice cake ingredients in a large dish until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Divide the cake batter between the prepared cake pans and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cake comes out clean.
- After baking, remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool completely.
- While the cakes cool, whisk together the frosting ingredients in a small dish until smooth and creamy (you may need to let the cream cheese sit out a bit to soften depending on the kind you use).
- Once the cakes have fully cooled, remove them from the pans. Set one of the cakes on a cake plate/stand.
- Frost the top of the first cake generously with frosting and then add with second cake on top. Frost the top of the second cake with the remaining icing. After frosting, slice your cake and serve!